Thursday, December 4, 2008

The John H. White School of Photojounalism: PJ Love

I found this You Tube video of a short speech by John H. White. John has been a staff photographer of the Chicago Sun-Times for many years and he won the Pulitzer Prize for feature photography in 1982. John was also my introduction to the craft of photojournalism. The three semester I spent in his class listening to his insight inspired me to become a photojournalist. I believe that we can trace the legacy of his teaching through many of photojournalist working today. John's message is one of connection. He always reminds his students that we have a responsibility to the people we photograph and that part of being a good photographer was working from the heart. John's instruction goes beyond f-stops and shutter speeds, he taught us how to see, and he helped us make the connection between life and photography.




No comments: