Friday, May 14, 2010

Twelve Tennis Balls, Two Subjects and One Light


I made this picture earlier this week. My assignment was to photograph a brother and sister duo who are the number one seeds of the Freedom High School tennis team. In the past, I have always had trouble with making creative group portraits. It can be hard to get away from the formulaic people stand side by side approach.

For this picture, I brought my step stool with me. The scene was being lit by the setting sun, which was pouring in light from the right side of the frame. I used a off camera speedlight shot through a umbrella to try in filling the shadows on their faces.

I enjoy these types of assignments because they push me to interact more with my subjects, which helps me become more comfortable directing people in my photographs.

No comments: